Friday, October 10, 2008

Tres

I apparently live in sketchville.

Roommate and I decided to go to Pita Pit for dinner tonight, because she hadn't been there before and that is unacceptable for any Tucson resident.

While sitting outside enjoying our [delectable] pitas, a homeless man walked by and asked if we had any spare change. This is not an uncommon situation--I'm pretty accustomed to it by now--but I rarely carry cash. I apologized and said no, and he went on his way.
Walking back to campus, we passed a man talking on his phone. He quickly hung up and stopped us, saying, "Hi ladies--can I ask you something?--What is a good present I can get for my five year old neice? It's her birthday tomorrow." Roommate and I looked at each other, both a little confused. We gave him a few suggestions and awkwardly tried to walk away. As we were leaving, he told Roommate that she looks a lot like his sister. Admittedly, strange.
Roommate and I continued walking down University. We were back on campus and about halfway to the union when a large man in a G-Unit shirt stopped us. He said, "Enjoy your Friday night of giving" or "Enjoy your Friday night, forgive me." We couldn't decide which would be creepier, or what on earth he was talking about. This guy was huge--at least 250 lbs and 6'1"--so we didn't really want to perpetuate the conversation... We said nothing, continued walking, and picked up the pace.
Sidenote: Roommate is from Happy Jack, AZ. In HJ, you are more likely to encounter a bear than a G-Unit. She is still unsure how to react to tonight's events.
So we are inside the union, thinking all of this stranger danger nonsense is over, when ANOTHER man, who had been peering inside the glass doors, poked his head inside the union, and yelled, "Hey! You girls got boyfriends?!" "We sure do!" I yelled back, in the manner my reflexes tell me I should respond to creepers. Roommate said nothing and we walked briskly away.

I busted out the pepper spray on the way back to the dorm. And then I realized that it was windy, so if I had to spray someone, it was going to end up in my eyes.

This happened over the course of 30 minutes.

No comments: