Monday, January 18, 2010

Treinta y dos

I wrote in July that I'm not a "crier". And I wasn't lying; up to that point in my life, that was a true statement. It makes me laugh now, because sometime within the last six months that changed. And that's okay. It's just an odd thing to have to get used to. Somehow though, I feel more human, more real, as a result of this change.

Something that constantly amazes me is how much music can affect you. Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard both heals my heart and solicits tears. In the past, I spent a lot of time avoiding beautiful music because of the emotional component. I'm starting to appreciate it more. Although it requires more of my emotional energy, there is so much more substance and depth, it's worth it.

In the past few days I've played my piano more than in the past few years. Or maybe ever. I hope this isn't a short-term kick. I really want this to continue. If I can't have silence in a physical manner, at the very least it quiets my mind.

"Without music life would be a mistake." - Nietzche

No comments: