Friday, January 22, 2010

33: In which I break the blog title rule and a barista breaks a social rule.

I am mildly insulted that today my Starbucks barista assumed I wanted my latte nonfat. I'm not trying to be super sensitive, but this is the third time someone has made that assumption. Different people every time. Different stores every time. I clearly say what kind of latte I want, and then they call it out and add that I want it nonfat. I don't even like milk that much, let alone if it's watery skim milk. I just feel this is an assumption that should never be made, because I don't feel comfortable correcting their mistake. What would I say? "No, please, I want the extra calories; I'm clearly not dieting if I'm at your coffee shop." I mean, I could say that, but I wouldn't because then I'd really feel terrible about myself.

If I am going to spend more than $1 on a cup of coffee, I want to make it count. Did you think I was going for a healthy meal when I ordered a slice of coffeecake to compliment my chai? But alas, I am now committed to a watered-down coffee experience, because YOU have made me feel uncomfortable about wanting the real deal.

The psychological aspect of this situation fascinates me.

No comments: