Sunday, November 15, 2009

Veintiocho

Had you asked me prior to today whether I thought restrictions on the sale of alcohol were a good idea, I would have probably said yes. However, having experienced the enforcement of a blue law at Safeway this morning, my answer has changed. Allow me to explain.

No one remembered the elements for communion this morning. We brought in the equipment, started getting things set up, and realized we had no bread or wine. Problematic, you might say. I don't know how to set up sound equipment very well anyways, so I volunteered to make a quick run to buy some pita bread and wine. (Keep in mind that the wine we use is alcohol free.)

I drove like a maniac to the store, ran in, spent a few minutes frantically looking for the wine, grabbed some pita bread, and made a quick break for the self-check-out. I scanned the bottle of wine (which, again, is ALCOHOL FREE), and the screen said "Item is not for sale". I didn't understand. The item had to be for sale--it was in the aisle and it had a bar code! Safeway associates had helped me locate said bottle! It was clearly for sale!

The cashier who was supervising the self check-out came over and informed me that they can't sell alcohol until 10 am. It was 9:15. "But it's alcohol free!" I protested. "And church starts at 10:30!" She grabbed the bottle of wine, turned on her heel, and walked away. I was stunned.

How is there not an exception to the blue laws for items that clearly say ALCOHOL REMOVED on the label? How did that get through the system??

I do find it ironic that the laws that were originally implemented for religious reasons were somewhat of a hindrance to church today.

No comments: