Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quince

In 7th grade, I took a "computer" class. I felt pretty slick, because we spent most of the class learning how to type correctly. I quickly figured out that I could whiz through each of the terrific timed typing tests (I like alliteration; I'm going to try to add some more) if I only learned to reach the big, blunt, beautiful backspace button. (Ok, that was a stretch--the backspace button isn't that attractive.) I was kicking butt in my typing class... or so I thought. Soon, the sad, startling secret behind my success showed itself; I was losing points each time I hit the backspace button.

What is that supposed to teach children? Are we supposed to sit back and say that solving our somewhat serious life situations is stupid and superfluous? "I realized you've discontinued the dilemma, but it's indubitably inconsequential, because your monumental mistake must make a mark on your life. For-ev-er." (Sandlot style.)

It's no wonder so many kids have self-esteem issues.

On a somewhat related sidenote, if I'm going to sacrifice capitalization or punctuation in a text or message, it'll always be capitalization. It is much easier for me to understand that "kris" was supposed to be "Kris" than it is for me to guess that "your" means "you're". (I also rarely capitalize my name. I think it looks better in all lower-case letters.)

2 comments:

austin.s.martin said...

You can learn from the mistakes of old but you cannot always right what has been wronged. Let the children suffer, it builds character.
I agree with you 100% on the your/you're, they're/their/there etc in text messaging.

dameyer said...

I like to think it's more of a life lesson. while your errors CAN be fixed, it doesn't excuse the fact they were made. much like sinning. while your sins CAN be forgiven, it doesn't excuse them being made. gotta see the big picture kris. and where did the affinity for all lowercase letters come from?